One Dose of Humility Coming Right Up

I should read Romans more often.  I stay away from it, because it’s complex.  I prefer the life application Paul in letters such as Philippians.  But this week I’m tackling Romans and getting a good dose of humility.
“For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking because futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.” (Romans 1:21)
I know of God; I’m not sure I’d say that I KNOW God.  Nonetheless, I give him too little glory and too little thanks.  God has given me the abilities to think, to analyze, to synthesize, yet my thinking is often futile.  Consequently, my words and actions become futile, too.
“Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done.  They have become filled with every kind of wickedness…greed…envy…gossips…slanderers…boastful…faithless.” (Romans 1:28-31)
God has taught me so much, through life experience, through study, through his word, through his people.  But I forget.  I don’t retain that knowledge.  Like a student cramming for a test, I learn the knowledge of God in the moment, and then leave it behind.  I hope and pray God does not give me over to a depraved mind.  Yet, I am guilty of some of the “kinds of wickedness” Paul enumerates.
Thank you for all you have taught and given to me.  Continue imparting your knowledge to me.  Let me see glimpses of your glory.  Forgive me for futile thoughts and living.  Guide me to meaningful thinking, speaking, and doing.  Forgive me for my wickedness.  Don’t give up on me; don’t give me over to a depraved mind.  Thank you for humbling words that reorient my day.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts