For His Name's Sake

Through him and for his name’s sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. Romans 1:5

We received grace and apostleship FOR his name’s sake.  Scripture doesn’t say, “For our personal fulfillment, we received grace and apostleship,” or, “For our joy and peace, we received grace and apostleship.”  We may get peaceful consciences and an inner joy from receiving grace, but that’s not why we receive it.  We may feel whole as we follow God as apostles and as we call others to obedient, faithful lives.  But that’s still not why. 
God extends his grace to us, even though we are grossly undeserving, for his name’s sake.   Seems a little self-centered, doesn’t it?  If I do something to further my name or make myself sound good, then that’s self-seeking.  That’s sinful.  But when God does something for his name’s sake, it’s not sinful.  My name is not worthy of praise and honor and glory.  God’s is.  “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name” (Exodus 20:7). 
May I bring glory to your name as I live in your grace, follow you, and try to draw more apostles to you.  May I mean it when I call you Lord.   May I address you in a manner worthy of your holiness.  Thank you for the gifts of your grace and the ability to follow you.  Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts