I'm Popular

Growing up, I often wanted to be popular.  I think that's pretty common.  I never was.

But now, at 31-years-old, I have arrived.

I am, hands down, the most popular person in my home.  Okay, there's only four of us.  But still, almost every second of every day I am wanted by a member of my family.  Often, I am wanted by all three at the same time.  This can be exhausting and frustrating.  It's also awesome.  

Everybody wants Mom to be proud of them, and I absolutely am.
Everybody wants Mom close by when it's time to go to sleep. 
Everybody wants Mom to listen to their ideas, their stories, and their feelings.
Everybody wants Mom to do something for them--fixing a snack being the most common request.
Everybody wants Mom to hold them when they're physically or emotionally hurt.

And, the day or two before a student ministry function, I become very popular.  I take more phone calls, texts, and e-mails in one day than I do in one month.  This used to frustrate me.  Now, I know it's coming, and I'm peaceful about it.  I'm actually happy to offer explanations and answers that calm anxiety and erase uncertainty.

I am finally popular.  It's not at all what I thought it'd be--it's better.

Comments

Popular Posts