Skip to main content

My First Love

I love books, bookstores, and libraries!  I know I'm not alone.  Some of us fall in love with books as kids, and it's a life-long love affair.  I spent summers reading book after book after book.  I remember parents constantly asking me to pick up my books and take them to my room.  But I knew I'd be reading it again in ten minutes, so what was the point of picking it up?!

My love affair with books continued until some point in college.  It was still there when I started college.  The first class my sister and I attended was Dr. Ausband's Literature 201, a survey of old Brit lit.  At the end of the first week, he asked us to stay after class.  I'd never been asked to stay after class before, and my barely 18-year-old self was pretty nervous that the head of the English department was requesting such an audience.  My nerves quickly melted away as he asked, "Where did you two go to high school?  Where did you study your freshmen year of college?  I've never had such prepared students."  

Well, we went to PHS, where Kay Meredith trained us well.  This was our freshmen year; thanks to Mrs. Meredith's AP class, we already had credit for freshmen English I and II.  We told Dr. Ausband of our intentions to major in English.  He smiled and asked, "Why?"

"Because we love reading."

By my junior year in college, I'd read so much my love of reading was waning.  My roommate used to say that if she read as much as I did, her eyeballs would fall out of her head and roll down the hallway in our apartment.  

By the time I graduated, I couldn't bear the thought of reading a book.

A year later I started grad school in the form of seminary.  It was time to read a lot again, and it was a struggle.

I had a baby the day after I graduated seminary, so reading was not an option for a while.

Then, when that baby was a little over two-years-old, I had the space, energy, and time to start reading again.  It was great.  And I was very pregnant.  I enjoyed a couple months of reading before starting the sleep-deprived cycle of parenthood all over again. 

Now, that second baby is two-and-a-half, and there is time to read again.  And I love it again.  

I feel a little guilty; I should challenge myself more with what I read.  I once read a Shakespeare play a week and hefty Victorian novels in a couple of weeks.  Now, I read words and sentence structures and ideas that are easy to comprehend, much to my husband's dismay.  He also loves to read, but for him reading is an exercise of the mind; for me it's a luxury for the mind.

Here's some of what I've read in the last year.
 


What books do you recommend?

BTW, a couple times I've attempted a women's summer book club.  I've loved the gatherings, but they've been small and sporadic.  If anybody wants to partner to try it again this year, then let me know.


Comments

  1. I miss reading SO MUCH! Now that I'm chasing Isaiah (and then working while he sleeps) I don't find time for reading much more than blog posts on my phone while trapped under a sleeping baby. I'm glad to see a Barbara Kingsolver book in your pile. Love her!! I also find myself reading fluffier books these days just to get my fix. I need to make it a priority again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Response to Charlottesville

Visiting our nation’s capital is an easy day trip for us, and how I chose to spend a precious vacation day this week.  I took pride in explaining the buildings and icons of my country to my children.  I am proud to be an American.  

But today, I am not proud.  
Today, I weep.

Four days ago, I saw the beautiful, infamous words “We the People” with my own eyes for the first time.  
Four days later, I am reminded of how far we still have to go to fully live into those words:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

What has happened 63 miles from my home, in Jefferson’s beautifully-domed, colonnaded city, is far from perfect, just, or tranquil.
This is not what our founding fathers wanted for our country, nor is …

A Message to Graduates

I have been a Pastor to Students (The title has changed numerous times; the role remains.) in Powhatan, Virginia for roughly 12 years.  I daresay I've been ministering to teenagers in this community longer than many.

Over the last dozen years, I've gotten lots of cool opportunities to minister to teenagers in this area.   But one had always eluded me--speaking at a baccalaureate service.  My husband had done the honors.  Other great pastors in the area had as well.  Once, I'd offered the closing prayer.  

This week, that changed.  I had the distinct honor to share with the PHS Class of 2016 at their baccalaureate service.  It was a wonderful experience working with great students, parents, and school leaders.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity!!!

A few people missed it and have asked to see what I said, so here it is, ALL of it:

June 1999 I sat in this space for my Baccalaureate service.  Before I was a pastor at PCC, before I moved back to Powhatan to raise my family, …

Disillusionment of Adulthood

Now that I’m in my 30’s, I must confess to disillusionment.  Growing up, I had ideas of what adulthood would be like.  I’m here, and it’s not entirely what I’d imagined.
For starters, I remember growing up amidst all the drama that comes with, well, growing up.  The gossip.  The hurt feelings.  The misunderstandings.  The fights between friends.  The back-stabbing.  And I remember being told that it would get better.  I’m not sure who told me that, but they were clearly wrong.
The drama may look a little different.  The words may sound a little different.  But the anguish of relationships remains.
Adults hurt each other’s feelings—intentionally and unintentionally. Adults nitpick and cause fights over inconsequential issues. Adults gossip. Adults cry, scream, and pitch fits. Adults build relational alliances, competing in “us vs. them” relational war. Adults let issues build and exponentially swell until they explode. Adults rarely identify the actual issue instead of the presenting issue. Adul…