Skip to main content

Hope That Does Not Disappoint

I recall many times when hope has disappointed me.  I vividly remember hoping to get a position on my college ministry’s leadership team my freshman year, and then not making the cut.  That was eleven years ago, and I remember how that disappointment felt—the tears that fell, the anger that burned.  That’s why we have the phrase, “Don’t get your hopes up.”  When your hopes are up, you are vulnerable to disappointment. 
So Paul must be talking about a different kind of hope here.  He says “that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.” (Romans 5:3-5)  Paul’s both upholding hope and acknowledging suffering.  I know people who remained hopeful as they suffered through cancer, but their hope was ultimately disappointing. 
What is this hope of Paul’s?  A brief survey of others’ ideas shows some think this is hope for an eternity spent in heaven with God.  That interpretation doesn’t seem to fit the text; I find no hinting at eternity in heaven in this section of Scripture.  I don’t think this is hope for anything.
I think Paul is saying we can have hope in all situations, in suffering, against all odds, because we have two things:  love in our hearts and the gift of the Holy Spirit.  God has put love in our hearts and given us the capacity to love him and his people.  Our capacity to love can break our hearts, bring us to tears, and leave us speechless.  In another famous letter, Paul says love always hopes.  I think the love in our hearts is worthy of hope.
The second reason we can hope is the Holy Spirit.  God sent the Holy Spirit to be with us, to pray on our behalf, to guide us.  That’s quite a gift, and one worthy of hope.  When we suffer, the Holy Spirit is with us.  When we cannot find the words to utter to God, the Holy Spirit does it for us.  When we don’t know what decision to make, the Holy Spirit prompts us. 
God, may I be hopeful today, not because of my life circumstances or beautiful weather or the people around me, but because you have put love in my heart and the Holy Spirit in my life.  Thank you that I can love.  Forgive me for not loving the way you do.  Thank you for the direction and presence of the Holy Spirit.  May I follow your promptings, being obedient and faithful.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Response to Charlottesville

Visiting our nation’s capital is an easy day trip for us, and how I chose to spend a precious vacation day this week.  I took pride in explaining the buildings and icons of my country to my children.  I am proud to be an American.  

But today, I am not proud.  
Today, I weep.

Four days ago, I saw the beautiful, infamous words “We the People” with my own eyes for the first time.  
Four days later, I am reminded of how far we still have to go to fully live into those words:
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

What has happened 63 miles from my home, in Jefferson’s beautifully-domed, colonnaded city, is far from perfect, just, or tranquil.
This is not what our founding fathers wanted for our country, nor is …

A Message to Graduates

I have been a Pastor to Students (The title has changed numerous times; the role remains.) in Powhatan, Virginia for roughly 12 years.  I daresay I've been ministering to teenagers in this community longer than many.

Over the last dozen years, I've gotten lots of cool opportunities to minister to teenagers in this area.   But one had always eluded me--speaking at a baccalaureate service.  My husband had done the honors.  Other great pastors in the area had as well.  Once, I'd offered the closing prayer.  

This week, that changed.  I had the distinct honor to share with the PHS Class of 2016 at their baccalaureate service.  It was a wonderful experience working with great students, parents, and school leaders.  I'm so grateful for the opportunity!!!

A few people missed it and have asked to see what I said, so here it is, ALL of it:

June 1999 I sat in this space for my Baccalaureate service.  Before I was a pastor at PCC, before I moved back to Powhatan to raise my family, …

Disillusionment of Adulthood

Now that I’m in my 30’s, I must confess to disillusionment.  Growing up, I had ideas of what adulthood would be like.  I’m here, and it’s not entirely what I’d imagined.
For starters, I remember growing up amidst all the drama that comes with, well, growing up.  The gossip.  The hurt feelings.  The misunderstandings.  The fights between friends.  The back-stabbing.  And I remember being told that it would get better.  I’m not sure who told me that, but they were clearly wrong.
The drama may look a little different.  The words may sound a little different.  But the anguish of relationships remains.
Adults hurt each other’s feelings—intentionally and unintentionally. Adults nitpick and cause fights over inconsequential issues. Adults gossip. Adults cry, scream, and pitch fits. Adults build relational alliances, competing in “us vs. them” relational war. Adults let issues build and exponentially swell until they explode. Adults rarely identify the actual issue instead of the presenting issue. Adul…