Believe


Believe.  It’s the mantra of the season—from the Elf on the Shelf video (that my kids have already seen at least 10 times since Thanksgiving) to the silver jingle bell in Polar Express.  It’s a word that lights up the side of Macy’s in New York.  I’ve seen it; it’s as breathtaking as it looks.

Believe.  Believe in an elf that flies from your home to the North Pole and back every night to report your behavior to Santa, determining your place on the Naughty or Nice lists.  Believe in an elf that lands in another, new, entertaining position every morning.  (I know the elves freak out some people, but Elfie has already curbed the behavior of my 4-year-old in remarkable ways his first two days back at our house, so I’m a believer!)  Actually, Elfie’s overnight adventures are a fun creative outlet for this mom of two.

Believe in a Santa who picks up children from their homes, without parental knowledge or consent, and transports them on a train, again—without permission slips or insurance information (The Student Pastor in me is righteously indignant about these breeches of basic protocol!), overnight to the North Pole.  Believe in silver jingle bells on Santa’s sleigh that you can only hear if you have childlike faith.

Believe in the goodness of people as you support Make-A-Wish at Macy’s, or participate in angel trees and collections of all kinds.  Believe that donating canned soup and gently used coats will make someone else’s Christmas better.

Believe that 2015 will be your best year yet.

Believe.

As I prepare my heart for Christmas, I’m reading Luke in the Bible.  It’s one of the two books of the Bible that includes Jesus’ birth, the Christmas event.  Reading Luke is reminding me of what I believe and why I believe.  I believe that “nothing is impossible with God.” (Luke 1:37)  

In this first book of Matthew, that declaration of God’s power and providence meant that barren couples could have a child.  I believe that this Christmas.  As loved ones birth healthy babies after months in the hospital, I believe.  As I pray for and cry with friends who have lost babies at 8 weeks and 8 months, with friends who are growing older yet remain unmarried, with friends who face disappointment month after month, I believe that nothing is impossible with God.  I’m heartbroken; I don’t understand; I’m frustrated…and I believe.  

What do you believe this Christmas?



I hope you’ll join me as I dive into Luke to discover and to rediscover who, what, and why I BELIEVE

Comments

Popular Posts