Update on the Anguished Parent

Sunday I told a story about a parent whose teenager struggled through adolescence.  I’ve been asked how the story ends.

Well, the story is still in process (as all stories are), but I’ll give you an update.

The teenager who once got in trouble at church has since contributed their gifts, talents, time, and energy to the church…to the very same efforts that were once marked by poor choices.

The parent who grieved, struggled, and made difficult decisions now shares their story with other parents, hoping what they learned can help another family.

The teenager now attends PCC as a young adult.   Graciously, we were able to maintain a good relationship throughout that ordeal.  Now, the young person attends church at an age when most people walk away.

As we were selecting our closing song, “Our God,” for this past Sunday, I couldn’t help but smile.  The song says, “And if our God is for us, then who could ever stop us, and if our God is with us, then what could stand against?” 

It reminds me of this teenager’s favorite Bible verse:

“The Lord is my light and my salvation—whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?” (Psalm 27:1)


That teenager had much to fear.  The parent and teenager had been mistreated, had been through difficult life circumstances together.  There was reason to fear, but that teenager found hope and promise in the words of Psalm 27 that declare our God is light, our God saves, our God strengthens us, our God gives us reason NOT to be afraid.

If you find yourself in the role of the anguished parent and would like to be in touch with this parent, then please comment or e-mail me:  angie.frame@pccwired.net.  The parent in this situation is willing to share their story or just to listen, knowing the pain, disappointment, and despair.

You can see Sunday's message on Noah as the anguished parent, not the angry tyrant, here: http://pccwired.net/watch-listen/ 

Comments

Popular Posts