Being in God's Hands

Well, it’s been a while, but there’s still not much time to write.   So, a quick word about something I find amusing…
I’ve been reading Hebrews this year and really enjoying it.  I found chapter 10 so applicable, that I’ve camped out in it…for months.  I keep re-reading it and soaking it up.  It’s like what our theology professor called “marinating.”  She’d challenge us with difficult theological ideas and readings, and then ask us to respond.  When we didn’t, she said we were marinating in the ideas.  But we never were prepared.  We just stayed in the marinade, much to her dismay.
So, I’m coming out of the marinade of Hebrews 10, and leaving you with a few words on Hebrews 10:31:  It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

This makes me re-think a few churchy mantras, like…
·         A favorite children’s ministry song:  "He’s got the whole world in His hands.  He’s got the whole wide world in His hands.”
·         The Footprints poem that decorates millions of restrooms:  "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints, is when I carried you.”
If falling into the hands of the living God is a dreadful thing, then I’m not sure I want my whole wide world in his hands, and I’m not sure I want my suffering self in them either.

Comments

Popular Posts