New Year's Resolutions

I'm not sure I've ever kept a New Year's Resolution.  Most years I don't resolve to do anything.  Getting through my normal routines at home and work usually exhausts all mental, emotional, and physical energy I have.  For some reason, I feel compelled to make some resolutions this year, with little confidence that I'll follow through.  That's the way to start, right?!

First, I'd like to claim a few Bible verses for myself this year:
1.  Hebrews 3:12-14:  See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God.  But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness.  We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first.

2.  Psalm 51:10-13:
Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.
Then I will teach transgressors your ways,
and sinners will turn back to you.

The resolution I'm making regarding how I think and live is #3:  I will stop critiquing.  I constantly critique.  Critiquing and criticizing are not the same thing, and I really do lean towards critiquing instead of criticizing.  But, for now, I'd like just to stop.  I have plenty of my own junk to work on without identifying how others' junk could be better, too.  I was recently in a setting where I felt like everything about me was being critiqued--my food and drink choices, my parenting choices, my clothing, my appearance, how I spent my time, what I talked about, how and with whom I related.  Nothing mean was said or done, and there was no malintent; I'm confident of that.  But even still, it was emotionally exhausting.  I am sorry if I have caused anyone else such exhaustion from well-intended, constant critique. 

#4.  I will journal some of my kids' milestones, their favorites (books, songs, videos, toys, foods), and the hilarious things Tristan says.  I have not done this before, and I've undoubtedly already forgotten priceless tidbits about my kids first 3 and 1 years.

Happy New Year!

Comments

Popular Posts