Beatitudes in Romans

There's a famous section of the famous Sermon on the Mount called the Beatitudes.  It's the "Blessed are..." verses.  Those verses proclaim as "blessed" the poor in spirit, the meek, the merciful, the peacemakers, the pure in heart, the persecuted, the mourners, and those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.  I read those verses in the beginning of Matthew 5 and wonder if I am pronounced "blessed" by Scripture.

Then I read Romans today.  I'm a bit embarrased to admit I didn't know there were Beatitudes in Romans.  But there are, and Paul is quoting a Psalm (32) when he includes two beatitudes in his letter to those of Rome:
Blessed are those whose iniquities are forgiven,
and whose sins are covered;
blessed is the one against whom the Lord will not reckon sin. (Rom 4:7-8)

I may not be meek or a peacemaker, and I'm certainly not persecuted.  But I am forgiven.  Today I will live into the blessing of being forgiven.  And that is enough. 

Most people would call me blessed for having a nice home, a good husband, two healthy kids, a job that puts food on the table.  But the truth is, the dishwasher breaks, I lash out at the husband, the kids scream, work overwhelms...and remembering that I am blessed just because I am forgiven brings me peace.

Comments

Popular Posts